Skip to main content

Two Poems - Benjamin Blake





Log Cabin Clearing
 
The outskirts of some backwoods town
A young girl with olive skin
And the darkest eyes
Brunette hair as light as silk
And a radiance like no other



Clandestine chance meeting
Soon stripped of most clothing
An unspoken invitation
Until this mouth was upon those soft nipples
And then she said
I can touch her anywhere
And so I did


Accomplishment & Relief

I’m drowning in words
While overcome with incoherent illusions
It’s not only the stars that are falling
But the whole damn world
Everything I grasp just turns to ash
And I can feel my flesh begin to melt away
Leaving these bones
Frozen and exposed

Take several steps back
While my head explodes
And all the tissue and blood
Turns to a million dirty thoughts
That will stick in your head like Cupid’s arrows
And make you sick with lust and desire
To consume what you know not to touch

Accomplishment & relief
Pull me from this black hole
Nurse me back to health
With serotonin and with cigarettes
Served with a memento mori
And a glass of red wine






Benjamin Blake was born in the July of 1985, and grew up in the small town of Eltham, New Zealand. He is the author of the poetry and prose collections, A Prayer for Late OctoberSouthpaw Nights, and Reciting Shakespeare with the Dead. His debut novel, The Devil's Children, was published this October. Find more of his work at www.benjaminblake.com


Popular posts from this blog

A Broken Head(set) - Jesus Rivera

This past summer was like all other suburban summers: short and hot. Short enough so that it came and went and, having not overstayed its welcome, would be welcomed again. Hot enough that little kids cracked eggs on their asphalt driveways, scrambled for a round of hide and go seek, and before the tiny seeker could finish counting to ten and move her hands from her eyes, the yolks were very well done. On both sides.

Three Poems - Scott Laudati

my first night back we were far apart once but you can hear my heart now in this chest, and your hair used to itch my skin if you didn’t tuck it back but you’ll never hear about it again

Pat Brown and Broken Ribs - Robert Vogt

Pat Brown points a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol in my face. Pat Brown, the Pat Brown of Vandals fame—the guy the Vandals wrote the song about—yells, “Get the fuck outta here!”